Under the guidance of the group CTO, the Database Engineer will work specifically as part of our Database team and more broadly as part of our Engineering Team. Our goal is to deliver new features and drive improvements which have measurable impact while supporting our strategic initiatives at Neilson. You will work in an agile environment in a multi-disciplined team where product managers, architects, business analysts, developers, database engineers and testers all work together to develop great products. We are looking for a self-driven individual who is passionate about their career and keen to develop further, to discover new ways of working and step out of their comfort zone.
Main Duties & Responsibilities:
- Analyze, plan, develop, deploy, and manage critical production database systems.
- Work effectively with team leads, product owners, and other developers to define & clarify user requirements, perform analysis, and develop robust & maintainable solutions and recommend enhancements to meet business requirements.
- Understand and apply the advanced principles of entity relationship model design, using good practices to determine appropriate data types, index management, data management, and data security.
- Develop ad-hoc queries and reports on demand with short turnaround times as determined by business priorities.
- Conduct research and prototype new database features, design, and architecture ahead of mainstream development.
- Initiate performance tuning and innovative system improvements.
- Troubleshoot and resolve technical and performance issues in a production environment.
- Review database designs, code, and test plans of teammates and provide feedback for improvement or optimization.
- Perform basic database administration activities for all environments (production, staging and development) including: database refreshing, job monitoring, release deployment, installation, configuration, process monitoring, database backup & restore, and database server upgrades.
Skills & Knowledge:
- Bachelor’s degree, or Master’s degree in Computer Science, or applicable field of study
- 5+ years designing and developing databases in MS SQL Server 2008-2012+ (or with an equivalent product such as MySQL, DB2, or Oracle) utilizing stored procedures, functions, triggers, queries, schemas etc.
- Expert level knowledge of TSQL, performance tuning, query plan, and query plan optimization for TSQL.
- Technical Certifications (MCSA: SQL 2016 Database Development, MCSA: SQL 2016 Database Administration, Or similar)
- Experience developing solutions utilizing Azure technology such as SQL Databases, Storage Accounts, Account Management.
- Experience developing optimized and scalable ETL processes.
- Demonstrated ability to balance architectural theory with practical solutions
- Proven background of designing and implementing architecture which solves strategic and tactical business needs
- Expert level technical understanding of data modelling, design and architectural principals across master data, transaction data and derived/analytic data
- Expert level knowledge of data management tools, including enterprise repository tools, data modelling tools, data quality tools, data mapping tools, and data profiling tools
- Experience managing and developing SQL Server databases utilizing SQL Server Data Tools/Visual Studio 2008-2019 IDE’s/dbForge Studio or similar.
- Experience in TFS and/or Git for script and model version control.
- Experience working in agile environment, with small distributed teams.
Experience with Database (OLTP), Data Mart/Data Warehouse (OLAP), SSIS and SSRS a plus